Sunday 5 October 2014

CROCK POT HUNAN CHICKEN




For years I have been trying to duplicate my favourite chinese food dish.  It was called Hunan Chicken, a spicy peanut sauce with chicken and vegetables.  Its getting closer and closer each time.


I usually use chicken breasts but this time I used boneless skinless chicken thighs due to their higher iron content.

I trimmed and chopped the chicken thighs and added them to the crock pot.  I seasoned with pepper. If you are a blog reader of mine you might have noticed I really like pepper :)





I then made the peanut sauce (recipe below)  and added it to the crock pot.



I put the lid on the crock pot and set it to high for 2 hours until the chicken was cooked.


After 2 hrs I stirred it and added the shredded lettuce, baby bok choy and broccoli.







I continued cooking until the broccoli was tender.  It can be served over rice or noodles.





Spicy Peanut Sauce

1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
1 cup boiling water
a pinch or two of crushed red pepper flakes (depending upon how spicy you like food)
2 TBS low sodium Tamari Sauce
2 - 3 tsp of honey

Combine all the ingredients together until the peanut butter is mixed into the mixture.  Then add to the chicken.




No comments:

Post a Comment